Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Argh Summer!


Wow, long overdue. I would never have thought that summer would turn out to be busier than spring. In my crazed mind, I was picturing a leisurely summer, dotted with various activities. Scarlett was going to take the summer off from three of her activities, so that would mean more free nights, right? Ha! Scarlett may have more time to play outside with her neighbors, but we have been anything but free. It’s been a whirlwind of traveling, birthday parties, recitals, household projects, library visits, and catching up with friends.

The whole family traveled to Colorado to visit Timmy in June. This was Sullivan’s first big road trip and to be honest, I was dreading it. I love him to bits, but he doesn’t let me hit the easy button on anything. Surely the 8 hour drive was going to be rife with screaming, crying, arching and general displeasure. It really is what I expected. I was genuinely surprised when the ride passed with very few hiccups. We left very early in the morning so that the kids could sleep in the car. After a little mid-morning nap, we did a little eating, reading, playing, singing, movie-watching (Scarlett) and before we knew it, we had arrived! Not to say that there weren’t a few screeches, but they were all for very specific reasons and not just for the hell of it.
 


Sully even tolerated getting in and out of the car within the next few days with little complaint. I didn’t think that he could match Scarlett’s ease, but I was very pleasantly surprised.

Ben, Scarlett and Sully throwing coins into the fountain at Casa Bonita.

Last weekend, Ben and the kids accompanied his parents to Ohio. I’m a little ashamed to say that I was looking forward to a little time alone. Of course I was going to miss my babies and my husband, but the thought of getting some long abandoned projects done put a big smile on my face. (I hope that those of you with children can relate. If not, I’m a total jerk!)

According to Ben and his parents, Scarlett was a phenomenal backseat companion. Sully was pretty good, although he did hone his screeching tones on the long car ride back.
Scarlett and Sullivan with their cousins, Micah and Lucy.

I’m hoping to get back to a more regular blog posting schedule soon. Sorry for the delay!

No comments:

Post a Comment